Math 113: Discrete Structures, Spring 2018MWF 10:00-10:50am, Chem 301
Office Hours: MWF 1:30-2:30pm in Lib 306
Drop-in tutoring: SuMTWTh 7-9pm, Lib 387
Text: Discrete Mathematics: Elementary and Beyond
Math 113 F02 on Piazza
Week 1: January 22 - 26
Week 2: January 29 - February 2
- M: Video lecture distributed via email and these notes. RQ, Handout, HW
- W:§1.3. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: §§1.5, 1.6. RQ, Handout, HW
Week 3: February 5 - 9
Week 4: February 12 - 16
- M: §§3.5, 3.6 (ignore the proof of equation (3.5) if you have not seen induction before). RQ, Handout, HW
- W: §2.1. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: §2.3. RQ, Handout, HW
Week 5: February 19 - 23
- M: §2.4. RQ, Handout, HW
- W: The hatcheck lady & co (Euler function section optional). RQ, Handout, HW
- F: Review session. Two-hour take-home exam distributed, due at the start of class on Monday, February 26. Review problems.
Week 6: February 26 - March 2
Week 7: March 5 - 9
Spring break: March 12 - 16Spring break does not count towards revision deadlines. Make sure to complete HW7F and RQ8M.
Week 8: March 18 - 22
- M: Todos Cuentan. RQ, no HW
- W: Probability video lecture 1. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: Probability video lecture 2. RQ, Handout, HW
Week 9: March 25 - 29
- M: Probability video lecture 3. RQ, Handout, HW
- W: Probability video lecture 4. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: Probability video lecture 5. Read the supplement to lecture 4. RQ, Handout, HW
Week 10: April 2 - 6
- M: §§6.1-6.3. RQ, Handout, HW
- W: §6.4. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: Review session AND DONUTS 🍩. Two-hour take-home exam distributed, due at the start of class on Monday, April 9. Review questions.
Week 11: April 9 - 13
Week 12: April 16 - 20
- M: §6.8. RQ, Handout, HW
- W: §6.9. RQ, Handout, HW
- F: Read this handout and answer the questions in it. Handout, HW
Week 13: April 23 - 27
Reading Period: April 30 - May 4Office hours MWF 3-4pm.
Final Exam: Monday, May 7Three-hour comprehensive take-home exam with an emphasis on more recent material. Retrieve exam from the box outside my office at or after 9am on Monday, May 7. Return the exam under my office door by 9am on Tuesday, May 8. The only external resource permitted is a single 8.5"x11" or A4 sheet of notes (two-sided).
The $\LaTeX$ document preparation system
Poor handwriting? Love escape characters? Too much free time? Try $\LaTeX$!
- $\LaTeX$ at Reed.
- A short guide [pdf] to writing mathematics with $\LaTeX$.
- Sample $\LaTeX$ input / output: sample.tex / sample.pdf.
- Change .pdf to .tex on (nearly) any file accessed from this page to get the $\LaTeX$ source code.
Kyle M. Ormsby