Teaching • Research • CS@Reed
I'm interested in the design and analysis of algorithms and the theory of computation. My thesis work addressed the memory cache performance analysis of algorithms. Recently I have investigated the parallel implementation of algorithms and data structures that support graph search and large text indexing and formal methods for reasoning about concurrent and distributed computation. You might check out some of the senior theses I've advised, listed below.
Advised Senior Theses
- Barney Potter, Modeling cell signaling networks with prize-collecting hypernetworks, S2016.
- Isabella Jorissen, Tiling the Heavens in the special case that "The Heavens" are R^2, S2016
- Jeremy Cosel, A survey of garbage collection, towards concurrent implementations, S2016.
- Drew Blount, Sequential model-based optimization of expensive black box functions, S2015.
- Emma Furth, Hamilton cycle algorithms for triangular grid graphs, S2014.
- Andrew Roetker, The state of the pi calculus and concurrency, S2014.
- Jed Grabman, Zero-sum games, S2014.
- Tom LaMarre, Massively parallel computation with graphics processing units, S2014.
- Emily Crotteau, Alignment algorithms in theory and practice: applications in cichlid fish, S2013.
- Eddie Maldonado, Generalizing the Curry-Howard isomorphism to classical logic, S2013.
- Jacob Kopczynski, Pushy computing: complecity theory and the game Abalone, S2013.
- Ivan Malison, Graph algorithms on GPUs: the shortest path problem, S2012.
- Matthew Carlson, Euclidean embedding of network location data: design and use, S2012.
- Isaac Lawrence, Techniques for space-efficient text indexing, S2011.
- Daniel Lidral-Porter, On parallel sorting and ... difference cover suffix array construction. S2011.
- R. Seth Terashima, ...lattice and ring models for peer-to-peer and social networks, S2010.
- Gavin Brown, Recovering structure from stereo images, S2010.
- Hannah E. Fouasnon, ...Hartigan's modal method for block clustering, S2010.
- Nayram Tay-Agbozo, An investigation into image segmentation using graph cuts, S2009.
- Cooper Francis, Model-checking concurrent systems, S2009.
- Nicholas J. Insalata, A mosaic approach to virtual reality, S2009.
- William Henderson, Distributed and mobile systems in the pi-calculus, S2008.
- William Randall Henner, Ukkonen's linear time algorithm for suffix trees, S2008.
- Devin Chalmers, The computable world, S2008.
- Seth Samuel, Algorithms for distributed consensus, S2006.
- Max Quinn, The H-P model for protein folding, S2006.
- Patrick Carlisle, Monads for imperative functional programming, S2005.
- Duy Tran, Cache-oblivious dictionaries, S2005.
- Alexa Mater, The word problem for Lambek's pre- and proto- groups, S2004.
- Neil Essy, Algorithms for reconfigurable networks, S2004.
- Brandon McPhail, Some NP-complete aspects of combinatorial puzzles, F2003.
- John Saller, Pattern classification and machine learning, S2003.
- Jeff Green, Optimal routing in BiChord, S2003.
- Gavin White, Secure and verifiable election systems, S2002.
- Rebecca Beachum, ...zero-knowledge proofs, S2002.
- Dan Muldrew, Quantum computation: a study of quantum algorithms, F2001.
- Sam Noble, Turning images into simple line art, F2001.
- Evan Jones, Non-chemical pheromone systems in insect-inspired robot swarms, S2001.
- Peter Folk, ...multicast communication using application-level routing, S2000.
Optimal Degree Distributions for Uniform Small World Rings R. Seth Terashima and James D. Fix. Submitted to Information Processing Letters, February 2011.
Greedy Routing on Augmented Ring Graphs. R. Seth Terashima and James D. Fix. On Arxiv.org as Arxiv:submit/0064945, June 2010.
Finite Presentations of Pregroups and the Identity Problem. Alexa H. Mater and James D. Fix. Appeared in FGMoL '05.
Optimal Routing in Bidirectional Variants of Chord. James D. Fix and Jeffrey Green. Unpublished manuscript, 2004
Offline 1-Minesweeper is NP-complete. James D. Fix and Brandon McPhail. Unpublished manuscript, 2004
Set-Associative Cache Performance of Search Trees. Appeared in SODA '03.
Cache Performance Analysis of Algorithms. Ph. D. dissertation. University of Washington, 2002.
Cache Performance Analysis of Traversals and Random Accesses. Richard E. Ladner, James D. Fix and Anthony LaMarca. Appeared in SODA '99.
Multiresolution Banded Refinement to Accelerate Surface Reconstruction from Polygons. James D. Fix and Richard E. Ladner. Appeared in Computational Geometry '98. Also in Journal of Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications.
Combinatorial Optimization through Multiresolution Analysis. Submitted for my General Examination, 1996.
Sorting by Parallel Insertion on a One-Dimensional Sub-Bus Array. James D. Fix and Richard E. Ladner. Appeared in IEEE Transactions on Computers.
Optimal Sorting on a One-dimensional Sub-bus Array. James D. Fix and Richard E. Ladner. Appeared in SODA '95.